The Broadway Collective is seeking a copywriter to produce written content that matches the brand voice and engages clients. We are an online musical theater education company based in New York City that provides four key programs: Hello Broadway, Broadway’s online academy; Hello Broadway Live, a 4 week online training program; Prescreen Prep, a college audition coaching program; and Gathered NYC, our summer intensive. The Copywriter is a key role in ensuring that the content we create as an organization matches our mission statement while also being engaging and exciting to our audience.
MEET YOUR TEAM
This part-time contractor position reports to our Marketing Manager. This position will be responsible for creating written content for all platforms.
WHO WE ARE
The Broadway Collective is a training academy for young aspiring performers who dream about pursuing a career in the Musical Theatre industry. We prepare our students for success in the performing arts — and everywhere else in life, creating well rounded humans. Our team is composed of like-minded educators and performers who seek opportunities to challenge and develop students and push them towards their dreams.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION + ANTI-RACISM
The Broadway Collective is a multi-million dollar educational company founded by a gay Black man.
It goes without saying, we believe that Black Lives Matter.
We are committed to creating an anti-racist, trans-positive, and inclusive environment in our workplace, in our classrooms, and on Broadway stages.
We celebrate diversity and provide equality and opportunity to our team, students, and their parents—regardless of their ability, background, race, or orientation.
OUR COMPANY CULTURE
The Broadway Collective has grown tremendously in the short five years of its existence. Founded by an artist, the company was built to help sustain and inspire other artists. Our team has a strong bond where everyone works together to make sure our students have the best possible experience. If you’re motivated to make a difference, this is the place for you.
WHO WE SERVE
The Broadway Collective trains forward thinking musical theatre students who choose to show up, do the work, and embrace stepping outside their comfort zone. We provide an emotionally supportive learning space, mentorship, structured curriculum, accountability, and direct access to the Broadway industry. This inclusive community of young artists–and the adults who support them–work towards their future by committing to process over product. By insisting on building better humans first, our students step into the world focused, courageous, resilient, and ready to achieve their highest potential.
DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS
Position Type: 1099 Contractor
Reports to: Marketing Manager
Are you an experienced copywriter?
You know how to write email marketing campaigns, newsletters, landing pages, web pages, and social media content that people absolutely love reading?
You’ve got a magical way with words? You know how to craft language that motivates people to take action and make a purchase?
You can write a newsletter that leaves customers gasping with delight, saying, “Yes please! I’ll take one in every color–take my card and ring me up!”
Then YOU are perfect for this role.
The Copywriter works closely with our Director of Marketing to ensure that all Broadway Collective content is relevant, engaging and creative.
- Review marketing strategy for the organization and offer suggestions.
- Create written materials (email sequences, newsletters, blog posts, landing pages and other web pages, social media captions, video/webinar scripts, and other materials) that match the strategy and lead to results.
- Edit content written by other members of the organization.
- Design course content with the Education Team.
- Coordinate with contractors for additional support in editing and creating content.
You know you’re succeeding in this role when:
- You write materials that lead to strong reactions and big results. Results like–more people joining our newsletter/mailing list. More people following on social. More people enrolling in our programs. More people sending fan mail that sounds like this: “This newsletter is the best thing I’ve read all month, and I just forwarded it to three friends.”
- You deliver written materials by the deadline assigned or (better yet) early.
- You create materials that align with our mission, values, and marketing strategy.
- People email us to ask, “Who is your copywriter??! Because they are pure magic! I am obsessed with everything you’re putting out.”
- Proven skills and experience in copywriting.
- Strong knowledge of email marketing strategies.
- Ability to deliver creative written content.
- Ability to match brand voice.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Strong storytelling skills–you understand how to write an inspirational true story (with a clear message and call to action) in 500 to 1000 words or less.
- Strong empathy skills–you can get inside our customers’ minds and hearts, understand what they’re feeling, and write materials that speak strongly to them.
ABOUT THE POSITION
- 1099 Contractor
- Flexible schedule with some required time during normal work hours of Monday-Friday from 10am-6pm ET
I applied...Now What?
What to expect
Once you fill out your application, you will get an automatic email to confirm that we received your info. Thank you!
Please hang tight. We will review your information as a team. You will hear from us within 2 weeks. We will let you know either A, B, or C:
A. “We’d love to schedule an interview with you.”
B. “We’d like to collect a bit more info from you and/or we have a quick question for you.”
C. “We’re grateful you applied. Thank you so much, but we don’t feel this opportunity is a match.”
We will also send you an email to notify you once the position has been filled, so that you don’t have to wonder, “What’s going on?”
We respect your time and we keep you updated throughout the process. We know it can be aggravating to wait and hear nothing from a potential employer, so we don’t do that to you!
Excited to hear from you!